The ‘Isovist Analysis’ menu allows basic visual analysis using ‘point isovists’, ‘region isovists’, or ‘isovist agents’. On launching the software, point isovists are selected by default; the latter two options can be selected as alternatives using a drop-down menu. To place isovists within the drawing:
- Open the Isovist analysis menu.
- Click on the top drop down options to choose either ‘Point Isovists’, ‘Region Isovists’ or ‘Isovist agents’.
- ‘Point isovists’ can be calculated and released by the user moving the cursor and clicking at a point of interest. These identify the space that falls within the isovist from any single location.
- ‘Region isovists’ can be calculated by the user clicking and dragging the cursor. These identify all space that is visible from along the route that the cursor is dragged along.
- ‘Isovist agents’ can be released by the user clicking the cursor. These subsequently move independently, in a manner based on Turner’s agents (Turner, 2002); that is, they move randomly towards available depth; but they do so without reference to an exosomatic visual graph, instead using real-time isovist calculations.
- To remove the last calculated or released isovist, press the keyboard delete or backspace buttons.
- To remove all released isovists, press ‘Clear’ at the foot of the isovist analysis menu.
Below: Point isovist, region isovist, and isovist agent analysis of Mies’ Barcelona Pavilion